Proudly Serving Texas Children and Their Families
Brockman, Brauchle & Evans, PLLC is a special education law firm in Houston, Texas serving children with learning differences and their families all over the state of Texas. Our attorneys are experienced litigators representing clients in court, administrative hearings, and arbitrations and can help you with most special education disputes with school districts.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law that requires all school districts across Texas and the entire country to provide students with disabilities a free appropriate public education (FAPE). In some cases, state rules give families additional rights beyond the federal law and regulations.
In general, the federal law requires all schools to:
- find and identify students who have a disability
- involve parents in decision-making
- evaluate (test) students in a nondiscriminatory way
- develop an individualized education program (IEP) for each eligible student, that
- includes measurable annual goals, including academic and functional goals, designed to enable the child to be involved in and make progress in the general education curriculum
- provide special instruction, related services and supplementary aids and services based on peer-reviewed research to the extent practicable
- provide services in the least restrictive environment
- maintain education records/files, and
- provide processes for resolving parent complaints and grievances
You are your child's best advocate, and there are many publicly available special education resources and organizations to assist parents of children with special needs in Texas. You can start at the Texas Education Agency- Special Education in Texas A-Z Index, and we have identified some other helpful resources here.
If you need further assistance, please let us know.